Tales of Arise has a lot of quests, which are often straightforward since the necessary locations are denoted by green stars that point you in the right direction. There are some exceptions to this where the solutions aren’t spelled out, such as the Bibliophile quest which features a tantalising hunt for interesting books.
The Bibliophile quest is likely to be one that sticks around in your list for a very long time. It can be unlocked fairly early on, but no matter your efforts it’s impossible to clear until towards the end of the game.
Here’s everything you need to know about how to clear the Tales of Arise Bibliophile quest.
- RELATED: Tales of Arise review (spoiler-free)
How to unlock the Bibliophile quest
This quest is unlocked by visiting the Library on 1F of Autelina Palace in Viscint. This will be available after clearing Menancia and recruiting Dohalim to your party.
Speak to a lady named Tigrina near the bookshelves on the left hand side as you enter, and you’ll have the chance to unlock this quest.
How to complete the Tales of Arise Bibliophile quest
This quest will require you to find 5 specific books and return to show Tigrina.
The good thing about this is that you will receive a different reward for each book in question, rather than reaping all rewards at the end. This means it’s always worth fast traveling back to her whenever you tick another book off the list.
There are five clues given, which direct you towards five different Rinwell weapons that must be shown to Tigrina. Her clues are all obvious except for the last one, simply denoting the exact names of the books you need:
- Show Secrets of the Stars
- Show Nature’s Beauty-type weapon
- Show Taming Water-type weapon
- Show Radiant Light-type weapon
- Show the rarest book
How to get Secrets of the Stars weapon
This one is simple – it’s a weapon Rinwell will already have in her possession, so you’ll be able to show Tigrina this book immediately and receive your first reward. You’ll also unlock the Bibliophile Emblem.
Rewards: 5 Happy Bottles (boosts Battle Chain bonus gauge)
How to get Nature’s Beauty weapon
You may also have the Nature’s Beauty book already, but if not, it can be crafted by a merchant with the following materials:
- Bizarre Megacore x 4 – There are just about everywhere. They’re dropped by Forest Ropers (Gilanne Woodland), Creepzillas (Adan Lake) Granilem (Traslida Highway), Tempestuous Masses (Aqfotle Hills, Mount Dhiara), Oozes (Underground Waterway, Frozen Valley), Viscious Masses (Aureum Falls, Del Fharis Castle) – note that you’ll need 6 more of these later, so you should farm more of them to save time.
- Earth Stone x 1 – Dropped by Earthern Masses (Trasilda Highway, Teital Plain)
- Titanium Vambrace x 1 – Dropped by Apes (Gilanne Woodland) or Alpha Reaper Gigant (Trasilda Highway)
In short – you can get everything you need in Trasilda Highway. You’ll also need 1,600 Gald. Once these are obtained and the book is crafted, show it to Tigrina for your next prize.
Rewards: Rosemary (boosts elemental attack power, which is good to use on Rinwell herself)
How to get Taming Water weapon
The book you need is named Taming Water. Again, this will require a trip to a merchant to craft the weapon. The following materials are required:
- Strange Core x 8 – Dropped by Ropers (Ulvhan Grotto, Rudhir Forest), Oozes (Underground Waterway, Frozen Valley) or Golems (Iglia Wastes, Sandinus Ravine)
- Astral Crystal Fragment x 2 – Dropped by Cyslodia Armored Spearman, Cyslodia Armored Marksman, Cyslodia Chief Spearman (all Riville Prison Tower) – I think it’s actually impossible to miss these.
This weapon comes at the cheaper price of 890 Gald, so craft it and head back to Tigrina.
Rewards: Magic Emblem (accessory that boosts elemental attack – again, a good one to give to Rinwell)
How to get Radiant Light weapon
The materials needed for the Radiant Light book
- Bizarre Megacore x 6 – These are the same as before. Dropped by Forest Ropers (Gilanne Woodland), Creepzillas (Adan Lake) Granilem (Traslida Highway), Tempestuous Masses (Aqfotle Hills, Mount Dhiara), Oozes (Underground Waterway, Frozen Valley), Viscious Masses (Aureum Falls, Del Fharis Castle)
- Clam Tentacle x 2 – Dropped by Shellshockers (Safer Sea Cave, Trasilda Highway)
This book costs 1440 Gald to craft, and is the penultimate weapon to show Tigrina in the Bibliophile quest.
Rewards: Red Rosemary (large elemental attack boost)
How to get the Rarest Book
This book isn’t specified by the quest, but you’re looking for the Heavenly Gaze. The items required will not actually be available until late in the game, so this part of the quest may remain undone for a long time.
The necessary materials for the final book in this quest are:
- Mystical Luminacore x 6 – Dropped by Blooming Ropers (The Wedge), Magmalems (Berg Volcano), Flaming Masses (Berg Volcano), Gnome Guarders (Earth Spirit Temple), Chrome Gazers (Gegham Helgarahi), Astral Agonys (Tarfhal Helgarahi), Astral Doubts (Tarfhal Helgarahi), Astral Laments (Tarfhal Helgarahi), Helganquil (Gegham Helgarahi, Tarfhal Helegarahi)
- Ominous Eyeball x 2 – Dropped by Astral Sloths (Tarfhal Helgarahi)
- Incendiary Scale x 2 – Dropped by Blast Bees (Gegham Helgarahi)
These items can also all be obtained in The Otherworld, but this isn’t available until the post-game. Regardless, you’ll still have to wait until the very last dungeon before you can amass them and craft the weapon and finally complete the quest.
The Heavenly Gaze comes at a costlier price of 19,580 Gald, but at this point in the game you should be able to afford it.
Rewards: Elder Cloak (an excellent piece of equipment for Rinwell)
What are the rewards for completing the Bibliophile quest?
Along with the rewards already accumulated, finally showing Tigrina all five books will result in one final set of prizes:
- 3,100 Gald
- 185 SP
- Pancake recipe
This quest is actually a double-whammie, as there’s a really easy follow-up quest to complete. Once you have received the pancake recipe, head to the Viscint inn to start another simple quest called ‘Dahna’s Tastiest Pancake’. It isn’t unlocked until Bibliophile is completed.
Talk to the women near the counter in the inn and you will be prompted to head to Pharia Ranch for a pancake competition, consisting of a skit collection that requires no actual effort.
You’ll be rewarded with three brand new pancake-related recipes, along with 5,100 Gald and 150 SP. Not bad for something so straightforward, so it’s definitely worth doing.
Hopefully our guide for the Tales of Arise Bibliophile quest was helpful. Check out some of our further guides and tips below: